Mailing & Packaging Tips
Here is your guide to posting letters and small packets. Just follow these simple guidelines to ensure that your package will be delivered to the recipient promptly!
What is Standard Mail?
Standard Mail are mail items that are in standard envelope sizes: C4, C5, C6 and DL or specified Standard Mail sizes. Other conditions of Standard Mail are:
- Letter, printed paper or paper based items in a rectangle paper-based envelope.
- Postcards or mail items in card form, not exceeding 240mm (Length) x 162mm (Width) with paper quality of at least 230gsm.
- The envelopes should be sealed.
- Not smaller than 140mm (Length) x 90mm (Width) x 0.2mm(Thickness).
- Not larger than 324mm (Length) x 229mm (Width) x 14.0mm (Thickness).
- Mail items should be in white, cream, pastel or light colour.
- Pressure sealed and pagemail items
Standard Regular Mail
Envelope Size (Length x Width):
- C6 - 162mm x 114mm
- DL - 220mm x 110mm
- C5 - 229mm x 162mm
Standard Large Mail
Envelope Size: Up to C4 - 324mm (Length) x 229mm (Width)
What is Non-Standard Mail?
All mail items not meeting the Standard Mail Conditions. These includes:
- Mail items containing merchandise, plastic cards, non-paper based enclosures, bulky items, stapled items, metal, hard, inflexible or sharp objects (eg. paper clips, audio tapes, CD/VCD etc.)
- Odd-shaped mail (circular, triangular, roll form etc.)
- Mail items in non-paper cover (eg. Plastic envelolpes, pillow case envelopes etc.)
- Mail set or mail with sprocket holes or computer printouts
- Mail items smaller than 140mm x 90mm x 0.2mm and lighter than 2g.
- Mail items in envelope form larger than 324mm x 229mm and thicker than 14mm.
- Mail items with watermark, dark intense colours, background design, patterning, embossing or security printing.
- Mail items/boxes/packages must not exceed maximum dimension of 240mm x 340mm x 70mm and weigh not more than 2kg.
- Packages that do not fit in the lertterbox will be forwarded to a designated post office for collection.
- Use good quality packaging with cushioning materials such as bubble wrap, foam peanuts or waterproof paper to protect the contents.
- Pack the items tightly to prevent shifting.
- Always use tape designed for shipping. Do not use wrapping paper and string.
- Use clear tape to secure catron boxes of all sizes. Seal your box with H-shape taping for maximum strength.
Received mail not meant for you? Please drop it into the Returned Mail Letterbox or any posting box. If you know that the recipient has moved out, please strike off the front of the envelope and state the cause e.g. Recipient moved out.
Need packing materials for your letters and packets?
Find out what is available for sale at your local Post Office.